With the ongoing evolution of online recruitment, organizations like HigherMe are constantly working to reinvent the hiring process in order to provide even more effective ways to connect the right candidates to the right employers.
One of our most unique features is the Video Cover Letter, where applicants put together an audio-visual introduction to employers. This replaces the traditional written cover letter, offering hiring managers a direct glimpse at the candidate’s personality and disposition.
When evaluating a Video Cover Letter on HigherMe, it’s important to keep a few things in mind:
- Video Cover Letter are meant to be kept general. The same clip is attached to every application a job seeker makes on the website, so it will not be tailored to your particular job posting.
- Creating a Video Cover Letter is optional for HigherMe candidates, and should not be considered a mandatory component of the application.
Encountering a Video Cover Letter for the first time? Here are some helpful guidelines when making your evaluation of a candidate:
- How prepared are they?It’s easy to tell if someone took time to prepare talking points or decided to ramble to the camera on a whim. Furthermore, did they take time to set up their background and lighting? Are they wearing an appropriate outfit for a job application?
- What keywords do they use? Listen for the descriptors they use towards their personality and work-ethic. Do they align with what you’re looking for in this role? Are they consistent with the messaging in their accompanying resume?
- What kind of personality do they have? A video cover letter is great for predicting the way a potential employee will approach relationships and work situations. Are they calculated and analytical? Social and a relationship builder? Or a combination?
While a Video Cover Letter is by no means an exhaustive evaluation of your candidate, it’s highly useful for gaining a first impression and making notes on their performance, which can be delved into later in the hiring process. On top of that, it’s a fantastic pre-screening tool that allows you to make more informed decisions before inviting a candidate for interview, which will save you valuable time and resources!
Tell us, do Video Cover Letter make a significant difference when evaluating job applications? For more details on recruiting talent through HigherMe, take a look at our Employer Page or connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.