Deputy Sheriff, Newport News Sheriff's Office
Our more than 200 dedicated and professional employees work to provide residents with a safe community in which to live, work and play. We stand ready to respond to a call for assistance.
We show our commitment to the community by speaking at schools, attending career days, talking with seniors about safety issues and more. Come join our team of committed community advocates today!
What You Will Do:
This list is not representative of all duties, but meant to give you an overall impression of some of the things that you will do as a Deputy Sheriff.
- Process inmates in and out of the jail.
- Supervise inmates and maintain a high level of security and control.
- Ensure security of the jail by conducting regular searches.
- Distribute food, bedding, clothing and other supplies to ensure a clean and sanitary housing environment.
- Provide immediate back-up to all sworn and civilian staff in the event of an incident.
- Administer first-aid and cardio-pulmonary resuscitation as a first responder in emergencies.
- Execute civil court orders; serve writs, orders and other legal documents on business establishments, banks and private individuals within required time frame.
- Execute Temporary Detention Orders and transport the detainee to the identified hospital or facility.
- Participate in various outreach programs within the community.
- Perform traffic enforcement duties as well as general law enforcement duties as appropriate.
- Respond to bomb threats and fire alarms as needed.
- Use firearms outside of jail facilities and restraint techniques in compliance with existing laws, policies and procedures.
- Performs related work as assigned.
What You Will Need:
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
- U.S. Citizen
- 21 years or older
- Valid Driver's License
- Cannot have any of the following:
- Conviction of any felony.
- Conviction as an adult of any offense involving moral turpitude, including, but not limited to larceny, concealment, bad checks, embezzlement, and/or perjury.
- Conviction of any crime of domestic violence.
- Conviction of any misdemeanor drug offense.
- Willingness to learn first aid and emergency medical procedures.
- Must have a basic ability to use Computer Systems.
- Ability to meet physical requirements, as established. Proficient in the use of armed and unarmed defensive tactics.
Why Work for Us?
This summary below briefly describes the benefits available to regular, full-time employees.
- Retirement Benefits (25 Years of Service)
- Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
- Wellness Benefits Programs
- Paid Personal and Medical Leave
- Employee Recognition Programs
- City of Newport News Employee Credit Union
- Paid Academy Training (sworn staff)
- Line of Duty Benefits (sworn staff)
- Equipment & Uniforms Provided
- Wellness Programs Including On-site Gymnasium
THIS IS A STATEMENT OF REPRESENTATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES, WORK BEHAVIORS AND REQUIREMENTS FOR THE JOB. NOT ALL RESPONSIBILITIES AND WORK BEHAVIORS ARE STATED. NOT ALL POSITIONS COVERED BY THE JOB DESCRIPTION WILL PERFORM ALL RESPONSIBILITIES. EMPLOYEES MAY BE ASSIGNED SIMILAR OR RELATED WORK AND ANY OTHER WORK NECESSARY TO ACCOMPLISH ASSIGNED RESPONSIBILITIES. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE ARE STATED IN TERMS GENERALLY REQUIRED TO PROVIDE THE ENTRY KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Requires an acceptable background check and acceptable credit check.
- Have never been convicted of any felony or a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude.
- Meet all federal, state and local requirements to carry a firearm.
- Have never been dishonorably discharged from any of the armed forces of the United States.
- Requires a valid driverʼs license with an acceptable driving record and no less than a minus 2 points on driving record.
- Must be able to work a varying shift pattern and be on-call on a rotational basis for certain duties and teams.
- Employees in this job are required to refrain from all use of controlled substances and are subject to random controlled substances testing.
Address2501 Washington Avenue
Newport News, VA 23607
The Newport News Sheriff's Office shall safely and securely provide appropriate supervision of all persons entrusted to the care of the Newport News City Jail and Annex; provide for safe and secure operations in the courts; guarantee expedient and accurate service of civil and criminal warrants, and enforce the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia.